What an incredible year of growth and change we had in 2019. Thanks to YOU and your generous donations of more than $1,690,000, SDIA was able to engage, assist and empower our nation’s heroes to #GetOffTheCouch with their brothers and sisters, providing them with the camaraderie and healing that is critical to their overall well-being.
Disaster Response Missions
These volunteer opportunities for Veterans and First Responders to assist those in need is extremely rewarding and helps our Sheep Dogs #GetOffTheCouch and reengage with like-minded people. In 2019, our members and volunteers deployed on 12 missions, including our first ever international effort in response to Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas.
- 6 Tornado
- 2 Hurricane
- 4 Flood
254 SDIA Members and Volunteers deployed on 12 Missions, assisting 1,572 people by mucking out and tarping homes and clearing 500+ trees & debris from 117 properties. Volunteers also distributed:
- 2,170 lbs of food & meals;
- 1,120 cases of water/sports drinks/juice’ and
- 730 lbs of cleaning, hygiene, medical and other supplies.
SDIA hosted 38 Outdoor Adventures across the United States in 2019, and sponsored 647 Sheep Dogs injured in combat or the line of duty to participate in the adventures. Our adventures provide physical challenges for Sheep Dogs to conquer together, and provide opportunities for camaraderie and peer support that is vital to overall well-being.
- 4 Major Trips
- Yellowstone National Park (twice) – 92 sponsored Sheep Dogs
- Buffalo River – 36 sponsored Sheep Dogs
- New York City/Tunnel to Towers Foundation 5K – 55 sponsored Sheep Dogs
- 26 Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Boating & “Get Off The Couch” adventures – 347 sponsored Sheep Dogs
- 12 Obstacle/Adventure & Running Races, Skydiving, SCUBA Diving, Snowmobiling & more – 300 sponsored Sheep Dogs
- During the holiday season, more that 6,200 Sheep Dogs in need and their families, including 500+ First Responders, received Thanksgiving meals, Christmas gifts and/or gift cards.
- SDIA also provided resource referrals and other assistance to 400+ Veterans, First Responders, and their families.