Nominations for the 2023 Sheep Dog of the Year
awards are now open!
Sheep Dog of the Year Awards
It is that time again – time to ask for nominations for our Sheep Dog of the Year awards!
This award is an important way to recognize those among us who have gone above and beyond their call of duty in their military or first responder professions (law enforcement, fire & rescue, and EMS/paramedic). These awards are presented to Sheep Dogs who have modeled exemplary and/or heroic service during 2023. Although a single heroic incident may be worthy of consideration, special consideration is given to those nominees who have distinguished themselves and their profession throughout their careers.
If you know of someone whom you would like to nominate, please submit a nomination as instructed below.
Full Nominations must be submitted no later than February 15, 2024.
Sheep Dog Nomination Requirements
Nomination and Approval Process
A “Sheep Dog” is a man or woman who has or is currently serving in our nation’s military and/or first responder professions. For the purpose of this award, “Sheep Dog” means a living individual currently serving in the military, law enforcement, fire and rescue, or emergency medical services (EMS)/paramedic profession, and who is directly employed on a full-time, active, reserve or national guard basis by a local, country, state, federal government and/or agency, with or without compensation, who is duly sworn and has current job requirements, or completed their obligated service in the year they are nominated.
- In addition, ALL ranks will be considered, but only if their job responsibilities require them to experience similar hazards and perform similar duties as those normally experienced and performed by peers.
- “Support Personnel” employees shall be considered if they are recognized as having served in a capacity that directly supports the efforts of military or first responder personnel. For example, but not limited to, correctional officers, jailers, probation officers, 911 Call Center agents, etc. Make the case for your nominee and they will have their nomination package reviewed for consideration. Make a strong case for all nominees.
- Less than full-time military and first responders (i.e., reserve, guard, volunteer, etc.) will also be considered. In such cases, eligibility will be determined after a review of several issues, including, but not limited to, job description and training.
Nominees may include individuals, or two or more nominees, provided that the persons being nominated worked in partnership or as a team.
How Do I Nominate a Sheep Dog?
- Please submit a FULL NOMINATION by February 15, 2024, to JMiller@SheepDogIA.org with the following information:
- Branch/Department of Service;
- Total Years Served;
- Photo; and
- A summary of the distinguished service for which the nominee should be recognized, including, but not limited to:
- Military, law enforcement, fire and rescue, EMS service;
- Community service;
- Letters from superiors;
- Extreme actions of valor; and
- Commendations and other awards received.
- If your nominee is selected by the SDIA Sheep Dog of the Year committee, they will be notified no later than March 15, 2024, and asked to attend the Heroes Gala on April 27, 2024, to receive their award, as well as consent to social media recognition.
Review and Selection Process
All nominations are reviewed by SDIA Sheep Dog of the Year committee members who ultimately pick the awardee. The review process may include discussion with the nominee, as well as the nominee’s unit, department, or agency, including, but not limited to, the nominee’s commanding officer, top administrative officer, senior supervisor, co-workers, union or association, as well as private citizens served by the nominee. Before any decision becomes final or publicly announced, the selected recipient must provide written authorization for the award to be given and the notification process to proceed.
Once approved, a letter announcing the decision will be sent to the nominee, to the person who submitted the nomination, and to the top administrative officer or supervisor of the unit, department, or agency involved.
Each Sheep Dog of the Year award winner is featured on www.SheepDogIA.org, annual newsletters, and on social media, including Facebook and Instagram.
The Sheep Dog of the Year award presentation takes place each year at SDIA’s annual Heroes Gala in Rogers, AR; 2023 awards will be presented by SDIA’s founder and CEO, Lance Nutt, SgtMaj, USMCR (Ret.), on Saturday, April 27, 2024.
The online and printed Nomination Form must be completed in its entirety and submitted by the February 15, 2024, deadline to be considered.
Written nomination forms should be sent to Sheep Dog Impact Assistance, ATTN: Sheep Dog of the Year Committee, 1200 West Walnut Street, Suite 2310, Rogers AR 72756.
Questions? Email JMiller@SheepDogIA.org.