Over the past two weeks, SDIA has deployed Disaster Response Teams (DRTs) to assist those affected by Hurricanes Harvey & Irma.
ROCKPORT & FULTON, TEXAS
The DRT left Northwest AR on Thur., Sept. 14, and was followed on Sept. 16 by a team from Gunter & Smith Professional Cleaning Services (GSPCS) with heavy equipment, and two 26′ trucks of supplies from GSPCS and Gary Eckel. Crews were able to set up their Command Center and had a secure area to stage equipment on Decker Womack’s property.
From 9/14-19, the DRTs:
- Cleared 15 properties of debris and large oak trees, where the two skid loaders with grapples proved invaluable;
- Distributed 1,200 cs of water; and
- Distributed clothing, hygiene supplies, diapers, cleaning and other supplies.
As Rockport’s systems were restored, the DRT moved north to Fulton, which was practically destroyed by Harvey.
DRTs finished up their work orders and began their return home 9/20.
TAMPA & JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA
Two DRTs made up of 15 SDIA members and volunteers conducted chainsaw operations from 9/11-14 in the Tampa and Jacksonville areas. DRTs:
- cleared 31 properties and 2 roads of debris and more than 50 trees;
- covered damaged roofs;
- distributed more than 200 cs of water and 15+ cs non-perishable food to residents and linemen working to restore power.
SDIA plans to deploy a second wave to Florida soon. If you are interested in deploying on that mission, please contact Jayme at JLingo@SheepDogIA.org with the following info: name; address; cell phone number; email address; dates available; and skills, tools or vehicles you will bring with you. She will also need answers to a few other questions.
At this time, financial donations, cash, fuel cards, and Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart gift cards are needed to replenish what has been used on these DRMs. Secure online donations are very appreciated and can be made at sheepdogia.org/get-involved/donate.
Cash, fuel cards and gift cards can be dropped off at or mailed to SDIA’s National Office (1200 W. Walnut St., Suite 2301, Rogers AR 72756).
THANK YOU!! The outpouring of support we have received since Hurricane Harvey hit has been tremendous! We could not provide the assistance we do to those devastated by natural disasters without people like YOU who donate your time, money and resources. All of us at SDIA want to thank everyone that has donated, including these companies & individuals who went above and beyond in their support.
- 1st Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment
- Keith Ashley & family, and Manor Estates
- Bella Vista Lutheran Church
- Bethel Ranch
- Broadway Contracting
- Carry The Load
- Centerpoint Church
- CrossFit Siloam Springs
- Gary Eckel
- Phil Ernster
- 5-Hour Energy
- George Fellers & Liberty Independent Baptist Church
- Jonathan Gonzalez
- Coulter Green
- Harps Food Stores
- Michael Heffernan & family
- Steve Landers Toyota
- Mach 1 Financial
- McClarty Daniel Ford
- Monitor Elementary School
- Nunnally Chevrolet
- Sugar Creek Elementary School
- Brian Smith & family
- Gunter & Smith Professional Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Rockline Industries
- Russell Summers
- Decker Womack
Visit our Facebook page (@SheepDogIA) for more photos, stories and information!